First Initial Wash
Prewash your diapers once before using them with hot water and detergent. During this prewash, wash no more than 8-10 diapers at a time in order to minimize lint accumulation.
Wash Before Use - See return policy on washed products and our Laundry Detergent Disclaimer*
Wash and Care Instructions
- Wet cloth diapers go directly into the diaper pail, no rinsing is necessary. Soiled cloth diapers are rinsed in the toilet, then put into the diaper pail. Mother ease offers a diaper sprayer that attaches to your toilet to simplify rinsing. Review this product in our shopping section under “Diapering Accessories”.
- When the pail is full, dump the cloth diapers directly into the washing machine.
- Pre-rinse or do a short cycle with warm water and detergent. Use the detergent you use for the rest of your laundry (without bleach). Avoid the use of fabric softeners, or use just a small amount (overuse may result in reduced absorbency).
- Wash the cloth diapers in a full cycle, at highest water level, using HOT water, and your household detergent (without bleach). Bleach is very harsh against your baby’s skin and may damage the cloth diaper’s fibers and elastics.
- The washed diapers may either be line dried or dried in the dryer on Medium.
Soiled Diaper Covers
Hand or machine wash with your diapers using laundry detergent and tumble dry on low, or line dry. Close Rikki covers (hook and loop) before washing or drying and/or use a small mesh laundry bag.
Bedwetter Pants and Training Pants - turn inside out to expose cotton for laundering.
Swim Diapers - hand wash in warm water and line dry. Do not wrap wet swim diaper in towel. Garment may bleed colour.
Breathable Diaper Pail Meshes and Wet Bags - wash in hot water and detergent before use. Colour may bleed with blue and red mesh pail bags.
(A) Wet pail or Pre-soak system - best for reduced staining
- Place Mother ease Breathable Mesh Pail Bag into diaper pail, add water and a teaspoon of detergent* and fill to desired level. Place used diapers into pail and let soak (soiled diapers are first rinsed in toilet). When ready to launder the mesh bag may be lifted out of the pail and placed over/near a drain. Empty the remaining water from the pail into the toilet. When much of the water has drained from the bag, place bag back into pail and transport to washing machine. Be sure to open the bag so that the diapers can work their way out during the wash cycle.
- Run a pre-rinse or short cycle with warm water with ½ oz laundry detergent.
- Wash the diapers in a full cycle, at highest water level, using hot water (140°F / 60°C), and the manufacturers recommended amount of laundry detergent. Avoid bleach as it can be very harsh against your baby’s skin and will damage the diaper’s fibers and elastics. Use Kind Fabric Softener to restore softness if desired. Avoid the use of commercial fabric softeners. Overuse will result in reduced absorbency.
- Washed diapers may either be line dried or dried in the dryer on medium heat.
For both wet and dry pail systems wipe pail clean regularly with warm soapy water.
(B) Dry pail system - most convenient
- Place Mother ease Breathable Mesh Pail Bag into diaper pail, add used diapers (soiled diapers must be rinsed in toilet). When ready to launder lift the mesh bag out of pail and transport to laundry machine. Be sure to open the bag so that the diapers can work their way out during the wash cycle.
- Run a pre-rinse or a short cycle with warm water and ½ ounce of laundry detergent.
- and 4. Follow Mother ease washing and drying instructions above.
For both wet and dry pail systems wipe pail clean regularly with warm soapy water.
Mother ease recommends the use of commercially available detergents made for hot water use such as Tide or Ivory Snow. Eco detergents: KIND Laundry Detergent or Green Works by Clorox. Diapers should be washed in water hot enough to kill bacteria: 140°F or 60°C
Helpful Notes and Hints
Waterproof Covers - Use over cloth diapers to prevent leakage. Can usually be used 3 to 4 times before washing, provided they aren't soiled.
Line Dried Diapers - simplify a messy diaper clean up. It installs to your toilet's water supply in 5 easy minutes.
How to Prevent Odors and Staining with the Dry Pail System - Important: to avoid odors from setting into fabrics when using Dry Pail Method, do not leave diapers sitting in a closed pail for days at a time. Diapers should be able to breathe. Use a vented diaper pail and a breathable mesh pail liner to encourage air circulation. At the end of each day used diapers stored without pre-soaking should be run through a rinse and spin or equivalent machine cycle. Rinsed diapers can be returned to the pail or ideally spread/hung to dry. Remember set odors are difficult to remove.
Diaper Stains - Rinse soiled diapers promptly in the toilet using a diaper sprayer to minimize stains. Flushable Diaper Liners or Stay Dry Liners will also help. Should you have a tough stain, apply KIND Stain Remover or Laundry Miracle directly to the stain and gently rub until the stain has lifted. Repeat if necessary.
Hot Water - ensure more hot water gets to your machine by running the hot water tap nearest your machine until water is hot.
Creams - Sticky barrier creams used to help prevent diaper rash can leave residues making diapers water repellent. Flushable Diaper Liners will help prevent residue from accumulating on diapers.
Flushable Diaper Liners - To simplify the clean up of soiled diapers, flushable paper and bamboo liners may be laid into the diapers.
Diaper Rash - A number of factors can cause diaper rashes. The first thing to try is more frequent diaper changes. Should the problem persist, run another final rinse cycle and add a cup of white vinegar.
*Mother ease does not recommend the use of oxygenated products (hydrogen peroxide - OxyClean), chlorides (bleach), fluorides, peroxides nor any harsh solvents (sodium percarbonate). Do not rinse diapers in toilets containing automatic toilet bowl cleaners. Use of these products will cause fabric disintegration on all natural fibers evidenced by balding spots throughout one or all layers of diaper and will adversely affect product longevity.
Laundry Detergent Disclaimer*
Mother ease does not recommend the use of boutique type detergents due to customer complaints. These include Charlies Soap, Allens Naturally, Nellies Soda, Rockin Green, Country Save, Laundry Tarts, any type of soap nuts, 7th Generation Soap, and Ecos.
Mother ease does not recommend any homemade detergents. Fat deposits from soap can accumulate in the diapers layers and cause water repellency.
Do not use laundry detergent products containing sodium percarbonate or hydrogen peroxide (alternative bleach). These ingredients are often listed. When combined with uric acid and ammonia a reaction occurs causing natural fibers to dissolve.
Note: Oversized large waterproof (nylon coated or PUL laminated) diaper pail liners should not be washed with cloth diapers. Due to the large size, they restrict water movement, interfere with effective detergent removal during rinse cycles and impede water extraction during the spin cycles.
At Mother ease, we offer the BEST warranty in the cloth diaper industry and proud to stand behind our products 100%! With our local manufacturing we are pleased to provide durable, well-designed cloth diapers, diaper covers, and diapering accessories:
Lifetime Warranty on our Snaps + Elastics
1 Year Warranty on our Poly Urethane Laminate (PUL)
1 Year Warranty on our diapers against defects in materials and workmanship
6 Month Warranty on our diaper covers against defects in materials and workmanship
This warranty is available to the original purchaser of our products from the date of purchase.
Except when caused by manufacturing defects this warranty does not cover leaking, diaper odor or normal wear and tear. Please be sure to follow our detailed care instructions paying special attention to the use of detergents. Warranty is void when detergents containing harsh solvents such as hydrogen peroxide or sodium percarbonate are used on diapers containing natural fibers (cotton, bamboo).
Exchange and Return Policy:
Mother ease® will provide a full refund, less actual shipping costs, on unused, unwashed, resalable products for a period of 6 months from the date of purchase.
Should you want to exchange a product during this 6 month time period, simply send the item back at your expense and we will ship the exchange back at our expense. The exchange would also need to be unused, unwashed and in resalable condition.
All Returned or Exchanged items require a Return Authorization Number before shipping back your order and include your receipt with the return. Return shipping costs are the customer’s responsibility.
For Mother ease to provide quick and efficient returns and exchanges, please fill out our Return & Exchange Form